This newsletter keeps you up-to-date with new articles, columns, and Web pages that I have written. I list and link most of these on my Diabetes Directory at www.mendosa.com/diabetes.htm
From time to time Diabetes Update may also include links to other Web pages of special interest.
My most recent contributions are:
on October 15, 2001
- Insulin Resistance
"The Mysterious Syndrome X" tells about the origins and components of our understanding of the most common cause of chronic disease. The article is the second in a series at the Diabetes Education Network of HealthTalk Interactive at http://www.healthtalk.com/den/110101/syndromex.html
on October 16, 2001
- Pedometer Power
The fad first swept Japan. Now it looks like it is beginning to overrun America. I'm doing my bit to see that it does.
The Japanese call it "manpo-kei"which means "10,000-step meters." The idea is to walk 10,000 steps every day and to keep track of your progress with one of the new electronic pedometers. It's something we all can do for our health and something especially important for those of us with diabetes. My new "About the Internet" column for the American Diabetes Association's Web site is about Pedometer Power. The URL is
on October 10, 2001
- Searching the Internet
My chapter, "Searching the Internet" in Gretchen Becker's book, The First Year—Type 2 Diabetes (New York: Marlowe & Company, 312 pages, $14.95) is now in print. Since I sold all rights for the chapter to Gretchen and her publisher, Matthew Lore, I'm not allowed to reproduce it here or on my Web site. All the more reason for you to get a copy of this extraordinary book.
"Wouldn't I have loved to find this book when my doctor told me that I have diabetes!" I wrote the publisher. He including my praise inside the book's front cover. I continued: "Reading this book during my first year dealing with diabetes would have spared me a lot of anxiety and misunderstanding. Becker tells it like it is. She is completely up-to-date on the science and practice of diabetes and shares her real world experience as an expert who happens to have type 2 diabetes herself. The greatest strength of this book is the wise way in which she deals with the most controversial area of diabetes treatment—what to eat. There is nothing anywhere that comes close to her comprehensive coverage or makes better sense than what you will find here."
Gretchen and I have corresponded regularly for the past five years. We collaborated on reviewing several blood glucose control programs. I have interviewed her for an article about how well she controls her type 2 diabetes (forthcoming). I consider her to be a friend. Altogether, I am proud and delighted to have contributed to her book. The URL is
I send out Diabetes Update e-mail in HTML format, which all Web browsers and most modern e-mail programs can display. HTML has live links to all the sites named in the text so that with a simple click of a mouse you can connect to the site you have just been reading about.
This newsletter is free and will never include advertising. Nor will I ever sell, rent, or trade your e-mail address to anyone without your permission.
I send out Diabetes Update about once every two weeks. Previous issues are online:
- Diabetes Update Number 1 of December 10, 2000
- Diabetes Update Number 2 of December 18, 2000
- Diabetes Update Number 3 of January 3, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 4 of January 17, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 5 of January 31, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 6 of February 15, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 7 of March 1, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 8 of March 15, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 9 of March 30, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 10 of April 2, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 11 of April 16, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 12 of May 2, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 13 of May 15, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 14 of May 31, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 15 of June 21, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 16 of July 2, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 17 of July 15, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 18 of August 2, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 19 of August 15, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 20 of August 30, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 21 of September 14, 2001
- Diabetes Update Number 22 of October 1, 2001
This is a one-way "broadcast" mailing list that is not set up to accept replies. If you have any questions or wish to unsubscribe, simply write me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If your friends want to receive Diabetes Update, all they have to do is write me here.
Thanks for joining!