Chris Budgen writes from New Zealand's Canterbury District that he uses this recipe a lot. "It works with chana dal, but I also like it very much with brown lentils," Chris tells me.
- 250g of chana dal or lentils
- 3 handsful of spinach
- 6 whole spring onions
- 2 fresh or pickled chilies
- 1 onion, minced or chopped finely
- 1 clove garlic, minced or chopped finely
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2.5cm stick of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground tumeric
- Boil the chana dal, spinach, onions, and chilies in 600mL of water until the chana dal is soft.
- Fry the onion, garlic, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon, and tumeric in a tablespoon of ghee or equal volume of oil. Do not brown onions.
- Add cooked chana dal and spinach.
- Salt to taste (about 1 teaspoon).
- Simmer gently for 10 minutes before serving.
Contributed by Chris Budgen from Canterbury District, New Zealand.
Go back to Home Page
Go back to the chana dal page.
Last modified: June 24, 2003