This is an egg salad substitute. "We ate these last night and everyone had seconds," Holly Gates writes of her new recipe.
- 1 cup chana dal—cooked
- 1 small yellow onion—diced
- 1 carrot—grated
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic—minced
- cream cheese or tofu
- olive oil
- pita bread or whole wheat sandwich bread
- Fry onions in olive oil until brownish in a non-stick pan. Add garlic for
the last minute of cooking.
- Add carrot and onions to chana dal.
- Sprinkle on vinaigrette and stir.
- Cut pita in half, stuff with chana dal mixture and a blob of cream cheese.
Serve with chopped tomatoes (sautéed), cantaloupe and Mediterranean Salad.
Mediterranean Salad is Holly's green herb salad, served as a side dish. It consists of mint, cilantro, and parsley with optional feta cheese blobs and olive oil. Wash and chop coarsely.
Holly Gates of Dallas, Texas.
Go back to Home Page
Go back to the chana dal page.
Last modified: January 11, 2001