- 3/4 cup chana dal
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- 1 cup butternut or acorn (pepper) squash
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6 cardamom seeds
- bay leaf
- 1 tbsp unsalted chicken mix (instant chicken soup mix; preferably the Luda brand)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tomatoes, chopped, or 1/2 cup canned tomatoes
- 2 tsp oil
- Place chana dal in bowl, add boiling water and place in fridge overnight.
- Put oil in pan and fry onion until translucent. Add cumin seeds and fry for 10-20 seconds, add other spices, celery, chicken mix, salt, water and tomatoes. Bring to boil, cover and cook on low heat for approx. 60 minutes. Add squash and continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
Serve with whole grain bread or over a bed of basmati rice.
Maisie Solly of Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada.
Go back to Home Page
Go back to the chana dal page.
Last modified: January 11, 2001