- 1 1/2 cup (12 oz.) chana dal, washed and drained
- 5 cups water
- 1 t. ground turmeric
- 1/2 t. ground cumin
- 1 t. ground coriander
- 1/2 t. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 T. butter or margarine
- 1 t. cumin seed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 T. grated fresh ginger
- 1 t. garam masala* (optional, but certainly not the same without it!)
- 2 T. chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Put chana dal in a bowl. Add enough cold water to cover and soak
- To cook, drain chana dal. Place chana dal, water, turmeric, cumin,
coriander, and cayenne in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over
medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover pan, and simmer for about 1
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add cumin seed and
cook for 1 minute. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook for about 5
minutes, stirring frequently, or until onion turns golden brown.
- Add chana dal and cooking liquid to onion mixture. Turn heat to high and
bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cover pan, reduce heat to low, and
simmer 30 minutes or until chana dal is tender but not mushy.
- Add garam masala and mix well.
- Place chana dal in a serving dish and sprinkle with chopped coriander
*Garam masala is a blend of spices and can be found in the Indian groceries.
Serves six to eight.
Go back to Home Page
Go back to the chana dal page.
Last modified: January 11, 2001