It appears that you are currently using Ad Blocking software. What are the consequences? Click here to learn more.
Advertisment
Diabetes Developments - A blog on latest developments in diabetes by David Mendosa

The Biggest Diabetes Scams

October 31st, 2006 · 161 Comments

Print This Post Print This Post

People like me who deal with diabetes every day on the Internet know that the hucksters are targeting us more and more with their scams and schemes. For people in business, diabetes has a well-deserve reputation as a growth industry.

But until now it seems to have escaped the notice of the U.S. government that we are getting ripped off more and more. Surprisingly, it is one of the government’s least aggressive agencies that just went after these bums.

I don’t remember ever hearing about the Federal Trade Commission having anything to do with diabetes until this week. But the FTC has now gone after these bad actors with gusto.

Working with the Food and Drug Administration and the governments of Canada and Mexico, the FTC has sent out about 180 warning letters. The FTC says that it’s sent warning letters for deceptive ads to 84 U.S. and seven Canadian Web sites that target American consumers. The agency also referred an additional 21 sites to other foreign governments. About a quarter of the firms have already changed their claims or removed their pages from the Internet, and several others are in contact with FTC, the agency says.

Even more aggressively and imaginatively, the FTC has set up a sort of sting operation. It’s not what we typically think of as a sting, because potential customers – you and me – are the stingees.

To get a bit of consumer education just click on Glucobate. “Glucobate™ acts at the microcellular level to attack the cause of the disease. What’s the secret? Cucumis melo — or Elixir of Muskmelon — an all-natural sugar regulator with none of the side effects of the medications that break your budget without curing your condition.”

That would be wonderful if true. But when you click on the “order now” button, you learn that Glucobate is really Glucofake. The FTC fakes us out so we will start to be a little more skeptical of the ads that we read on the Internet. Do take a look at the excellent tips the FTC offers to help us make sound judgements about them.

That’s quite helpful. But what I think is best about this joint effort is that the FDA is naming names. It’s “List of Firms Receiving Warning Letters for Marketing Unproven Dietary Supplements for Diabetes with Illegal Drug Claims” is online.

The list has some big names. It includes several companies that people send me emails all the time asking about.

I know several of these so well that I don’t have to look them up. They include Beta Fast GXR at informulab.com, RiSoTriene at healthy-living.org, and last but certainly not least, Diamaxol, the new name for Diabeticine at micronutra.com.

HealthCentral.com, which hosts this blog, is blocking ads from all of the 28 sites that the FDA announced that it sent the 24 warning letters to. So am I on my site. As the government lets us know the names and addresses of the other sites that it has warned, we will block their ads too. It’s the least that we can do to help the government’s crack down and to help people with diabetes.

I don’t recommend that you look at these sites. It actually made me sick to the stomach to read the outrageous claims there. But any time you’re tempted to waste your money, this may be handy.

Here is the complete list of the sites for which the FDA sent out warning letters. This is actually a small fraction of the scam sites out there, and you can be sure that some of these scammers will set up new sites in an effort to keep fooling us. But this is a start:

www.allbaid.com

www.sportronhealth.com

www.sportroninternational.com

www.sweetsunnah.com

www.thefightdiabetes.com

www.vitasprings.com

www.westopdiabetes.com

This article is based on an earlier version of my article published by HealthCentral.

Tags: , , , , , , ,
Posted in: Psychosocial

You may also like:

161 responses so far ↓

• 1 susan // Dec 7, 2009 at 10:01 am

anyone know about gluco-sure?

• 2 Ron McManus // Feb 4, 2010 at 10:19 am

I have two bottles of diabeticine that I bought
    a few years ago(didn’t work). The web site was different: http://www.techmedica.com
    Dr. Thao’s cellular Health
    I hope that this is of use.
    Thanks, Ron McManus

• 3 Connie // Mar 5, 2010 at 4:56 am

So what natural supplements DO work?

• 4 David Mendosa // Mar 5, 2010 at 10:59 am

Dear Connie,

I’m glad that you asked! I know of just two: fish (or krill) oil for omega-3 and vitamin D for many conditions.

• 5 danielle fernandez // Jun 13, 2010 at 9:20 pm

hey has anyone heard of metmetrix.com? my grandparents used it and my grandmother is in the hospital now due to it. it is a dietary plan that supposedly has fake doctors and is being sued by peoples family because of their family members death. please my mother and i have been searching like crazy any information please reply back!

thanks,
    Danielle

• 6 Ron McManus // Jun 14, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Danielle Fernandez, do you mean metametrix? I typed in
    metmetrix and got a whole page of info. The page
    asked me if I meant metametrix.

Ron

• 7 Deb // Sep 23, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Scammer (Allan Spreen below)or Not? selling Gluco-Sure….does it work for high blood sugar control?
    Your Nutrition Physician,

Allan Spreen, M.D.
    Chief Research Advisor
    NorthStar Nutritionals

Is this guy a scammer and does Gluco-Sure work?thanks…tired of all the ads taking our money and products not delivering there claims. thanks deb

• 8 Pam // Oct 25, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Apparently Glucose Essentials by Dr. Whitaker actually works. It’s working for my husband and it worked wonders for a friend who couldn’t get her blood sugar under control. She’s thin, eats right and exercises, yet it wouldn’t go down. After a few months on Glucose Essentials she now registers as non-diabetic on her A1c. Her doctor is amazed! My husband hasn’t had a follow-up A1c test yet. Due in couple of weeks, so we shall see, but he feels better!

• 9 Susan Wojenski // Oct 27, 2010 at 4:58 pm

Be very careful of too much Vit D 3 – I had horrific side effects/stomach pain. The endocrinologist I was seeing prescribed 50,000 units 2 times a month – I finally stopped it and the pain is finally gone. I had every test and nothing came back to prove anything. So I went off all meds and gradually added them back and found the biggest culprit was the D -I’d rather be defficiant than have the pain. It is the latest badwagon Drs are on – “you must have enough Vit D” Well not me.

• 10 Paulette Heller // Nov 6, 2010 at 10:17 am

Susan it could be if you took a good brand of D3 in smaller daily doses you might find it doesn’t bother you at all.

My doctor did the same. I substituted his D3 pharmaceutical grade for MY health food store D3 and my blood works showed I was normal and I felt great in the process.

• 11 Joey // Nov 14, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Dave,
    How much Vitamin D (in IU) “works”?
    Do you know the toxicity levels?
    How about for the fish oils?

• 12 David Mendosa // Nov 14, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Dear Joey,

Good questions. The official recommendation for vitamin D is 400 IU per day. But to get high enough levels in our bodies most of the people who specifically study vitamin D recommend 5,000 IU.

For the toxic level please read my article at http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=134

Cold-water fish and fish oil does provide some vitamin D, but not at the levels we need.

• 13 ryan @ vitamin d3 // Dec 24, 2010 at 8:33 pm

On the topic of Vitamin D I’ve learned it plays an essential role in the body which is absolutely necessary for the absorption and maintenance of calcium. Having the right levels of calcium in the body enables the maintenance of the appropriate structure within the bones, teeth and proper functioning of the nervous system. This is the major reason why we require the appropriate levels of vitamin D in our body. Vitamin D belongs to a group of fat-soluble vitamins. This means you need to transport the fats.

• 14 alex stone // Mar 6, 2011 at 6:45 pm

using gluco-sure….has anyone had side effects from this ????

• 15 John Mira // Jun 13, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Anyone heard of Gluco Complete? A friend swears by it. It seems to contain Thiamine, cinnamon and chromium. The website with the pitch is https://www.realadvantagenutrients.com/p/GlucoComplete.htm

• 16 Pam // Jun 14, 2011 at 6:40 am

As for Vit. D, the high dosage ones that are prescribed are not necessarily D3 but D2 and can have some nasty side effects. Try D3 from the healthfood store. My understanding is that if one takes 5,000 IU/day it keeps us at our present level and any increase from there will give some results. Check out http://www.mercola.com and check out all his Vit. D info–it’s very comprehensive. D is very important!

• 17 susan // Oct 3, 2011 at 3:03 pm

anyone know about “eleotin” promoted by dr. young soo kim? scam?

• 18 David Mendosa // Oct 3, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Dear Susan,

What’s happening? This is the third message I received today about Eleotin. What did you read about it? Where?

Be very careful. All supplements are suspect unless we have awfully good evidence for them because they are not standardized and are not subject to FDA regulation.

But Eleotin is especially questionable. All you need to do is a Google search for “Eleotin.” The first two hits connect it to Kevin Trudeau. Then read the Wikipedia article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Trudeau

Is he really at it AGAIN?

• 19 paul // Jan 8, 2012 at 12:40 pm

thank you for your list of scammers I will deal with Dr whittaker only who hAS AN excellent reputation. you save me money and health issues

• 20 susan // Jan 8, 2012 at 4:34 pm

i would like to hear more about dr. whitaker as well as dr. stefan ripich from people who have had experience with them.

• 21 connie // Jan 15, 2012 at 8:32 am

Yes, there are scammers out there but also please keep in mind that the FDA is mainly funded by the drug companies and so they have to protect their financial interest by condemning every known natural remedy. The FDA is very corrupt and they are the last people I would listen to. Just do your homework before buying anything. Don’t forget that the FDA approved drugs are killing us by the thousands every year.

• 22 John // Jan 28, 2012 at 8:54 am

Nobody answered Susans question about Gluco-Sure. I’m curious too

• 23 David Mendosa // Jan 28, 2012 at 11:15 am

Dear John,

The active ingredients of Gluco-Sure are:

Biotin (as d-biotin)
    1000 mcg
    333%
    Chromium
    (as chromium picolinate)

400 mcg
    333%
    Gencinia® ivy gourd 15:1 extract
    (Coccinia cordifolia) (leaves and fruit)
    1000 mg
    Agaricus blazei 30% extract (fruit)
    (standardized to 30% polysaccharides)

Perhaps chromium can help some people, those who are deficient in it (a small group of us), but none of the other ingredients have any substantial supporting evidence.

• 24 Joey // Jan 30, 2012 at 12:11 pm

No comments one way or another regarding cinnamon here?

• 25 Bill // May 8, 2012 at 6:42 pm

Plenty of comments, no replies. Any responses to Gluco-sure, if it works or not. Thanks

• 26 David Mendosa // May 9, 2012 at 8:07 am

Bill,

Study the ingredients of Gluco-sure! Chromium is one that some people think is lacking in our diet. I am not sure, but if you think so, you can get it straight for a lot less. Biotin is also readily available, but I can’t think of any role that it might play in diabetes management. The two other ingredients are so little known that neither The Natural Pharmacist encyclopedia nor Wikipedia even mention them — much less report ANY trials with them. You decide if this is a scam!

• 27 marianne valcan // Jul 1, 2012 at 11:10 am

just heard of gluco-sure. sounds good but does it actually work. Is the Dr. Spreen legit or not?

• 28 David Mendosa // Jul 1, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Dear Marianne,

We don’t have any shortcuts — whether Gluco-sure or anything else to controlling our diabetes. Most of us have to lose weight and all of us need to eat better in order to bring our blood sugar levels down to normal. While we do that, almost all of us have to take a diabetes pill or injection. These are what works.

• 29 Frank // Jul 9, 2012 at 7:10 am

To broaden the perspective on Gluco-Sure, I have used it and Gluco Complete for the past several years. I did not find Gluco Complete any better than Gluci-Sure, so I switched back to Gluco-Sure as a natural supplement.

Now, does Gluco-Sure work?

I think it does. But you must also – as David has pointed out, do your other “homework,” like eating a low-carb diet and getting some exercise.

In May of 2011, I weighed 210 pounds and my blood glucose fluctuated wildly. I got a copy of Dr. Stefan Ripich’s “30 Day Diabetes Cure” and started his 10 day boot camp. I kept the Gluco-Sure in the mix and periodically tested my blood glucose.

Long story short, I am now 173 pounds and my blood sugar has been as low as 71. It sometimes is as high as 120, but not too bad.

I am now seeing ads from Northstar Nutritionals for SugarSol, a new product. May give that a try.

Regarding Northstar and Real Advantage – they are basically the same company at the same address. I have tried some other products that did NOT work and have had no problems with refunds when I called them on the phone. Did not even have to return the unused portion of the product.

And to think my doctor was ready to put me on insulin shots…. Yikes! I was on 7 different meds for blood pressure, cholesterol, etc. and I am now off all of those. I had mysterious side effects, such as hip pain and a serious limp. The side effects of some of them are what convinced me to get off the Big Pharma gravy train and pay better attention to what was recommended in the first place for my diabetes II condition: Get some exercise and lose weight. Ripich’s guidelines are not actually a cure, and he says so in the book, but they certainly changed my life back to one with a brighter, happier future.

I hope this has helped some of you.

• 30 therese // Jul 20, 2012 at 9:31 am

My husband had very good results lowering his blood sugar by eating bitter melon. The morning after a meal which included bitter melon , blood sugar would be normal or close to it. The taste though is atrocious! He “doctors” it up with spices n curry n bragg aminos soy sauce etc. However I can’t stand it. That’s why I’m very interested in the ivy gourd.

• 31 Tamra // Jul 26, 2012 at 12:10 pm

In order for a drug to have it’s “effect” it has to accomplish 2 things- “poison crucial enzymes & block your body’s receptors” -Dr. David Brownstien. This is fine for emergent care , however, this continued process over time will cause the body to suffer in other ways (negative side effects anyone?) And I agree with the post above about the FDA. The greed for money overshadows true ethics in all walks of life. Big Pharma is in it for profits. Some of the FDA retirees walk out the door and into positions as CEO’s of the very companies they regulated. Talk about a conflict of interest! Also, it was just recently that Smith Glaxo-Kline was slapped a huge 3.2 billion fine (Yes, that’s billions, not millions) for using several of their drugs off -label. (Like using Paxil as drug for depression AND as a weight loss drug) Also part of this fine was for the unscrupulous marketing incentives they threw at Doctors for prescribing their drugs!!!! That’s why conventional medicine is fast becomming nothing more that a patient getting about 8 minutes of a Dr’s time and then being given a drug prescription.- No Thanks. They are not even trained well on how to understand the bodies biggest defense mechanisim of all- The IMMUNE SYSTEM!!

• 32 Mike // Jul 27, 2012 at 2:39 pm

My wife had pancreatic cancer surgery, wound up with type II diabetes. metformin made her very ill. has to take insulin. she started taking GlucoComplete and she dropped her insulin units from 25 to 15 and her fasting blood-sugar readings went from the 300-450 range to 100-124. been taking GlucoComplete 4 months, but she hasn’t been in the hospital for anything since March’12.

• 33 Murray // Oct 8, 2012 at 12:24 am

Hi Mike – same thing with me (Whipples, then Type 2), now looking out for natural diabetes control measures. Happy to compare notes via email if you like? Will look into “GlucoComplete” based on your notes. Has anyone heard of “Naavudi”?

• 34 Dan Karkoulas // Dec 15, 2012 at 8:57 pm

What’s the latest news on thiamin/benfotiamin and retinopathy?

• 35 David Mendosa // Dec 16, 2012 at 4:26 am

Dear Dan,

I keep watching for new research, but haven’t seen anything since I wrote.

• 36 tom meade // Dec 17, 2012 at 12:40 pm

please send me samples of your newsletters or your update info by email. thanks ? please be sure before any charges are required to inform me first for my prior approval . thanks again

t.m.

• 37 David Mendosa // Dec 17, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Dear Tom,

I don’t have any charge for my newsletter. You can see any or all back issues online at:

and you can subscribe by going to:

http://www.mendosa.com/subscribe and following the prompts.

• 38 Dale Cavallin // Jan 25, 2013 at 11:06 am

Moderate hypertension, trying to stay off all meds and looking for herbal remedies while keeping my weight down. My wife has had diabetes for 15 years, well under control but still looking for the best way to eliminate all meds.

• 39 Bill // Mar 12, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I have used Gluco-Sure for some time now and have found it works for me. My glucose reading was 135 when I started. I am now running between 112 and 118 which I consider a big improvement. Have shown my Doctor my bottle and his response was whatever is working “Keep doing it.” I have not changed my already reasonable low carb diet.

• 40 dave // Aug 24, 2013 at 8:06 pm

what about gluco harmony

• 41 David Mendosa // Aug 30, 2013 at 10:08 am

Dear Dave,

I don’t know anything about it, except that it must be expensive and that you can almost certainly do better simply by avoiding grains and sugars.

• 42 Diane // Sep 13, 2013 at 6:26 am

I have read all previous comments concerning different supplements and have seen nothing pertaining to CinnaPure, which brought me to this site. All advice involving this supplement would be greatly appreciated and considered. Thanks!

• 43 David Mendosa // Sep 15, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Dear Diane,

I haven´t studied CinnaPure. But I am no fan of trying to manage diabetes with cinnamon or other supplements. I highly recommend managing our blood sugar levels instead with a very low-carb diet.

• 44 Tina Swaim // Nov 19, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Dear Dave,

Glad to have found your blog and newsletter. I am 64 yrs old and am a diabetic with vision damage from glaucoma in both eyes. I have ungone three drainage implant surgeries. I have been somewhat successful in controlling my diabetes through diet and exercise, but have been slipping lately (once a sugar addict always an addict I think. I battle with it daily). I also take Dr. Whitaker’s Glucose Essentials and Vision Essentials. Both products seem to help. I also have been taking Can-C (N-Acetylcarnosine), which hasn’t completely dissolved the cataract in my right but I can see much better in that eye since I’ve been using the drops for the last 7 months. I also believe the drops have kept the cataract in my left from developing. Both conditions were diagnosed by my opthlamologist. Here’s my question: I have recently received literature promoting two different products that sound awfully good. One is Dr. Mikles’ Gluco Harmony, which is said to control blood sugar and contains bitter melon, pterocarpus marsuplum, gymnema sylvestre, curcumin, fenugreek seeds, shilajit, cinnamon, banaba leaf, and holy basil (interestiing no chromium). The pamphlet sites studies as evidence for each ingredient. Amazon.com site boasts hundreds of positive reviews. The other product is Diabetic Nerve Rejuvenator that is advertised to be the result of Patrick Lecky’s personal research of products he has taken over the past twenty years. According to Mr. Lecky’s article in the Diabetic Health Letter (which appears to be published by National World Supplements), he is a diabetic with severe neuropathy and took his research information to the president of Natural World Supplements, who agreed to formulate the product and who distributes it. It is said to contain ALA, Grape Seed Extract, Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Biotin, Lecithin, Myoinositol, and Aloe Vera (interesting no Chromium). I have heard of some of the benefits of most of these ingredients, and this product seems to contain proven ingredients and might be worth a try. Although you can try the product for one month “free” for optimum results, it’s recommended using the product for 6 months. The offer is buy three 1-month bottles and get three bottles free. I am wondering what your thoughts might be on both/either product.

Tina

• 45 David Mendosa // Nov 20, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Dear Tina,

I am sorry, but all of these concoctions have only one purpose: to make money for the seller. For you and me and others who have diabetes we have two problems:

First, that these ingredients aren’t proven to help.

Second, even if they were, we could buy them separately at much less cost.

Do no harm,

• 46 Benny McKee // Nov 24, 2013 at 4:52 am

Dear Tina:
    I have been using Gluco-Sure for the past couple of years and it keeps my blood sugar down. Keep in mind that I also cut sugar intake such as no ice cream or soda and cakes or pastry only a couple times each week, etc. Boxed items from the store I avoid if sugar content is more than 8 grams and that includes boxed cereal. I buy Gluco-Sure from North Star Nutritional, ph.800-895-2108.

• 47 Gary Jensen // Dec 26, 2013 at 1:30 pm

In July I was taking three Metforman a day, plus 100 units plus a day of insulin, neither did the job that they were supposed to do, and could only see my levels rising even though I watched my diet.

I am taking L-Arginine and L-Carnitine daily for cleaning out my vessels and arteries in my legs and the repair of the nerves in my feet(neuropathy) there is no longer any danger of cutting my toes off.

I started using Dr Whitaker’s Berberine 500 mg three times daily, and by the end of the first week, I no longer had glucose swings, and by the end of the week, I was off of the insulin.

I use NOW Foods supplements for the Taurine, the L-Arginine 500 mgs. I also use Astaxanthin 4 mg twice a day to improve my eyesight.

• 48 David Mendosa // Dec 26, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Dear Gary,

I am so happy for you! What is your most recent A1C level?

• 49 Gary Jensen // Dec 26, 2013 at 2:05 pm

A1C : 6, a side benefit is that my bad cholesterol since taking the Berberine and Taurine are in the normal range, for the first time in 18 years. My good cholesterol is a little low, however believe it will get better.

• 50 David Mendosa // Dec 26, 2013 at 2:07 pm

Dear Gary,

Your HDL cholesterol, the good one, will increase. You are doing great!

• 51 Gary Jensen // Dec 26, 2013 at 2:12 pm

David,

I have studied modern and alternative medicine since 1979. There are good and probably some bad products, I spend time looking at many different products, and only use those that I have a reasonable assurance that they will work. I looked at Berberine three years ago, and I dismissed it because I was not taking a large number of units of insulin. I wished that I would of tried it then.

• 52 Lydia J // Feb 15, 2014 at 12:43 pm

I have been taking Berberine for the last 2 years, the numbers for blood sugar & cholestral are great, unfortunately if I take 3 dosages per day, I end up with severe stomach cramping and the trotters. Also the electrolytes & Vitamin D are sky high. I have now cut down to 2 berberine pills a day, the numbers are still impressive, but the electrolytes & Vitamin D are still to high. I am stopping all intake of Berberine.

• 53 David Mendosa // Feb 21, 2014 at 2:48 pm

Dear Lydia,

Thank you for sharing your warning about berberine. From looking at all the email that I get about it, this is the hot new supplement. Somebody is pushing it hard!

• 54 patricia // Mar 3, 2014 at 3:17 am

I have been following your advice about carb intake (limit 50 grams/day), and had immediate results with weight loss (80 lbs in 10 months) and lowered a1c (from 7.4 to 6.0).
    I struggled with dawn phenomena but recently read your blog on that and am less preoccupied with it now. Tried several things (organic apple cider vinegar, no carbs at all after 5pm, cinnamon, etc.) without any positive results. However, I would advise caution with CINNAMON. When cinnamon tea was not effective, I tried a supplement called Cinsulate. Before trying it, I called the US distributor and was told that it was the same product (dosage and manufacturer) as used in the European trials. After 3 months I had an intensely painful UTI with blood in urine, then 3 months later a recurrence, same intensity. Stopped the Cinsulate and have had no further problem, but I have become so sensitized to cinnamon that I can no longer use it in my cooking.
    (I had no history of UTIs other than one mild instance over 45 years ago, during the first month of marriage — my doctor’s euphemystic (sic) diagnosis was “honeymoon cystitis.”)
    I have also read recently of acute renal failure in persons using concentrated green tea supplements for weight loss.

So, otherwise, I am making progress but still have a way to go. This year my target is exercise, which is difficult since I have severe rheumatoid arthritis, but I have found a local group for that and have been able to make a start.
    Take care everyone out there, and keep on working at it….pat

• 55 David Mendosa // Mar 3, 2014 at 8:47 am

Dear Patricia,

Thank you for the warning!

• 56 Victor Monterroso // Apr 14, 2014 at 8:10 pm

If you do not like any of these herbs, what is it that you like. I may say that I’m drinking Gluco Harmoni , and it does drop my glucose. I was drinking metformin and only a doctor can prescribe it, so it is too expensive and it does have negative side effects, i drank Glipizide, for me it is as espensive as any other pill doctors prescribe. I feel more safe with herbs, I don’t have to pay the bureaucracy of the doctor .

• 57 David Mendosa // Apr 15, 2014 at 7:51 am

Dear Victor,

Thanks for your message. I am, however, puzzled by your “drinking” metformin and Glipizide. I’ve never heard of that! Please explain. Anyway, metformin is one of the least expensive and safest medications we have for diabetes with very few side effects. While I am glad that you feel safe with herbs, I don’t share that feeling because, unlike prescription drugs, they haven’t been rigorously tested and we don’t know the appropriate dosage or even how strong they are from batch to batch. Anyway, it’s good that it brings down your glucose level. Is your A1C below 6.0 yet?

• 58 eir // Jun 3, 2014 at 4:05 am

Dear David.

I am 63, new to diabetes. what herbs products will you recommebed .

Meir

• 59 David Mendosa // Jun 7, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Dear Meir,

Actually, I don’t have any herbs that I recommend for diabetes. For good eating, yes! But not to manage our disease.

• 60 ELAINE NARKE // Jun 9, 2014 at 10:32 am

WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO REGARDING GLUCOHARMONY

• 61 David Mendosa // Jun 9, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Dear Elaine,

I don’t have anything to add to what I replied to Dave on August 24, 2013, here.

• 62 Brenda // Jun 28, 2014 at 4:19 am

Hi , can you tell me if you have had any reviews or opinions about ” Advanced glucose support” sold by North Star nutritionals ?

• 63 David Mendosa // Jun 28, 2014 at 9:38 am

Dear Brenda,

Thanks for asking. I wouldn’t call it a scam, but you can buy the ingredients (vitamin D-3, magnesium, and chromium) a lot less expensive otherwise! I do think that those of us who have diabetes usually need vitamin D-3 and magnesium, although I am still not convinced that we need more chromium.

• 64 Andy Cox // Oct 28, 2014 at 2:54 pm

This is a great site!! I had no idea that this was out here.

I am trying to find out more about The Diabetes Protocol which is a program on line that apparently gives you a dietary program with all the details and schedules needed and they say after several weeks of following their program you should be able to go off of all Diabetes medications and go back to your old diet and just do the program a few times a year to maintain your system.

I have done google searches and found lots of sites that talk about it but I noticed that they all read almost exactly the same. The same gammer errors and spelling mistakes on almost every site. I have been ripped off before and don’t want to be again but I would also like to get my type 2 under control and get on a diet that i can actually stay on.

Does anyone have experience with this program??

Thanks!!

• 65 John Quigley // Nov 2, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I too have type 2 diabetes, presently taking 2 metformin 850 per day. Also taking Berberine only 1 500 mg per day. Also take magnesium and d-3 daily. My last A1C was 6.2. Used to play golf but had spine fused in 2006 and have not played since. Planning to try to get back into it in the next couple of months, need to work up to it since exercise is not my forte since the surgery. Anyway I too was looking at Gluco-Sure, think I will keep doing what I am and leave that one alone.

• 66 David Mendosa // Nov 2, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Good thinking, John!

• 67 Carolyn Turcotte // Dec 4, 2014 at 8:59 am

Hi – I’m 52, type 2 diabetic taking 1000 mg of metformin daily. I know my A1C is not good enough, and I struggle with my diet, time for exercise, stress levels and getting enough sleep. I just came across a website – http://www.thediabetescure.com/Video/ and am wondering what is known about this. Sounds plausible and yet too good to be true. And it’s not very expensive – only $37. Talks about how big Pharma is trying to suppress the information – which makes sense but also seems too conspiracy theory-like. If there was actually a cure, really and truly, wouldn’t the insurance industry fight big Pharma to bring it to light? The amount of money they would save would far outweigh what big Pharma would lose, right? Would really appreciate any feedback.

• 68 David Mendosa // Dec 4, 2014 at 9:27 am

Dear Carolyn,

You are absolutely right. Excellent point that our insurance companies would love a cure for diabetes almost as much as we would. The government too. I have looked carefully into this and without question it is a scam.

• 69 Carolyn Turcotte // Dec 4, 2014 at 11:09 am

Thanks – I figured but you never know, right? If it was for real, I’m sure it would have blown up world-wide by now.

• 70 David Mendosa // Dec 4, 2014 at 11:22 am

Dear Carolyn,

You are so right about that.

• 71 Elda Rodriguez // Dec 14, 2014 at 12:31 pm

My closest friend went toDR. WHITTAKER CLINIC for allergy reasons and while there saw a patient “cleaned” from extreme high glucose to Normal readings using his protocol.
    I am in the process of getting it as other ftiends are using it with good results. There is also a book that shows changes needed to success by this Dr. Some of the supplements can be found under other brands, but also remember that not all are good enough.

• 72 David Mendosa // Dec 14, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Dear Elda,

I don’t have any reason to think that Dr Whittaker is selling a scam. He has been helping people with diabetes for years

With Metta,

• 73 Gary Jensen // Dec 14, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Dear David, Elda, et al

Dr. Whittaker and his staff of doctors are the very best at helping those that need their services. Those that are expecting an overnight cure for the ailments. One needs to be patient in following diet, exercise, and an upbeat view that you are going to beat the deficiency that you have, and soon you will get better.

• 74 Gary Jensen // Dec 14, 2014 at 9:33 pm

I will put in my two cents worth on vitamin D-3. It has been my experience that D-3 does very little by itself. To make it work effectively it should be coupled with K-2. It should be taken with a large dose of magnesium for greater effectiveness. I have upped my dose of D-3 and K-2 to 3,000 iu a day. A suggestion, if you have upset stomach that you may think is related drink a half a glass of water 10 minutes prior to taking the products and the other half glass of water when taking the supplement.

• 75 David Mendosa // Dec 15, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Dear Gary,

You post concerns me a little. I hope that you aren’t indicating that Dr. Whittaker is currently promising overnight cures for diabetes. Please tell me that it’s not so!

• 76 David Mendosa // Dec 15, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Dear Gary,

Good points. Especially for balancing out any calcium supplements that we take we do need to take magnesium, K2, as well and D3. I take all of these myself.

• 77 Dell // Dec 19, 2014 at 8:43 am

Hey Carolyn Turcotte,

In the Diabetes Cure video, they keep saying that the $37 is a deposit. I found myself being concerned as to the Real cost.

Best of Success,
    Dell

• 78 Dale // Jan 3, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Dear David et al.

I am diabetic type 2. My last A1c was 6.7 (worst yet in 20 years since diagnosis). I have pretty much limited any bread I consume to complex whole grain breads (country grain, cape seed, etc). I cannot seem to cut back on grains. Are some safer than others? Is there a form of bread that is safer for diabetics? I’ve seen protein bread made from soy, but then there’s the concern about unfermented soy. Thanks in advance.

Dale

• 79 David Mendosa // Jan 4, 2015 at 12:49 am

Dear Dale,

Cutting out grains, particularly wheat, is hard as I know from my own experience. You may well have to go cold turkey, which works for addictions like these. Wheat truly is addicting and has nothing to offer us. Have you read “Wheat Belly” and “Grain Brain,” two books that I reviewed?

• 80 duane p // Jan 4, 2015 at 10:39 am

what do you know about a product called bio-trust 1c-5tm claims to be all natural no fillers no sawdust etc. i am type 2 and searching for way to improve my diabetes. so much hype and not knowing truth or fiction can you head me in the right direction. thanks duane

• 81 David Mendosa // Jan 4, 2015 at 10:49 am

Dear Duane,

Please read my articles about supplements. Like all supplements, this product is nothing but untested and unstandardized ones. It could help you or it could kill you.

Good luck,

• 82 Dale // Jan 4, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Dear David,

Thanks for the book recommendations. I will read them. Cold turkey (yikes), but under the circumstances, I’ll have to go that route.

Thanks,
    Dale

• 83 Siamak // Jan 4, 2015 at 10:53 pm

Dear David, No questions, just wanted to wish you a great 2015 and thank you for the years of support and fantastic source of critical information.

Regards

Siamak

• 84 David Mendosa // Jan 5, 2015 at 9:02 am

Dear Siamak,

I appreciate your kind words very much.

With metta,

• 85 Ernest // Jan 7, 2015 at 10:23 am

Hi! I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes a couple of weeks ago. Still in shock.

My doctor has prescribed metformin and a statin to bring down the cholesterol.

For my part, for now I have largely come off carbs and have started exercising to reduce weight.

Any ideas of where I should go to read up and better educate myself what to do?

• 86 David Mendosa // Jan 7, 2015 at 10:42 am

Dear Ernest,

Sorry that you joined our club! But you have come to the right place. Please start by reading my articles here and a book by Dr. Richard K. Bernstein entitled “Dr. Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution,” 4th edition.

With metta,

• 87 Ernest // Jan 7, 2015 at 11:05 am

Thank you. My doctor prescribed 2,000 mg of Metformin daily but the specialist reduced it to 500 mg as he wants to see how I do with diet, exercise and lifestyle changes first. Sounds sensible.

Have just ordered Dr Bernstein’s book and will start reading your articles.

Many thanks

• 88 Dean // Jan 24, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Recently diagnosed with Blood Sugar level of 8.9
    Dr put me on Metformin . I am limiting my carb intake and exorcising 15 minutes each morning. What concerns me most is the pain in my hands and itchiness on my body . Just purchased Dr. Bernstein’s book and waiting for it to arrive . Is my condition reversible?

• 89 David Mendosa // Jan 24, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Dear Dean,

The quick answer to your question is a definite YES. Dr. Bernstein’s book is itself the definitive answer.

• 90 Carol Taubman // Feb 3, 2015 at 2:38 pm

I am thrilled with your site. I am 80 but only claim 70 yrs. I had B-cancer (surgery, successful) and ended with type2D. It is lonely out here so I truly thank you. I kept my nos at 6.2a1c for yrs and just this past 6mos it has risen to 7.2. Aint goin to happen, I said so I am looking to Dr. Wittaker and Berrberine for my next step. Thanks, again for you and your info site.

• 91 David Mendosa // Feb 3, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Dear Carol,

Well, I thank YOU for your nice message. But unlike you, I am ONLY 79 and look forward to my 80th birthday in August!

• 92 Shamim ahmed // Feb 6, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Dear Dr.:
    I am 71 years old diabetic for the lsat 30 years. After many years on Metformin and Glucotrol, I suddenly started having loose motions from Metformin. Switched to Actos same problem. Now my diabetes is completely out of comtrol. A1c 12.6.

Please suggest what should use. My doctor says go on insulin. My daily schedule changes every day. I do not want to be insulin dependent for the rest of my life.
    Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Shamim

• 93 David Mendosa // Feb 6, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Dear Shamin,

If you have suddenly developed type 1 diabetes in addition to the type 2 that you have had for 30 years — which doesn’t happen often, but it does happen — you must start taking insulin injections to save your life. But if you are just eating a diet that is too high in carbohydrates, you can start reducing your A!C to a normal level pretty soon.

I do agree with your doctor that you must quickly start going on insulin soon, because levels as high as yours even for a few months can lead to complications. At least start using a basal insulin — Lantus or Levemir — now. Either one of those insulins is very easy to manage, the shots almost never are painful, AND using the insulin now does not at all imply that you will be using it for the rest of your life. When your very low-carb diet kicks in after a few weeks in which you may be tired as your body converts to burning fat, your blood sugar level will drop. Of course, the A1C level measures your average blood sugar level over the previous two or three months, so it will take a few months for your level to get down where it needs to be, which is certainly below 6.0.

With metta,

• 94 Siamak // Feb 6, 2015 at 11:45 pm

Ditto to David.

I have been negligent in my own treatment to the point my HgA1C was 12.2 last Nov. Yikes! I should have known but hey a slice or two of bread don’t matter, rice a bit of sweet don’t matter! eating out once in a while does not marrer, right ? . Actually they ALL do. But do not take anyone’s word for it. Do the research. Get yourself anice meter , I have freestyle light, keeps 7,14 and30 day average, goodindicator of A1C, test regularly, before meals and 2 hrs after. By the numbers. We diabetics have to do for iurselves what happens automagically with non diabetics. Get over it anddo it. Restaurants put lots of salt and sugar in their meals, they tastegood!. Insulin pen is easy to use. Don’t be ashamed to say “I cannot eat that! I amdiabetic”.

Oh! since you asked, my A1C isdown to 8.1 and going down. No more rice, rice does me in. Very little bread, no pasta, no alcohol,well a beer or two a year does not count. And excercise. A must. still, your choice, by the numbers. And good luck. live long and prosper.

• 95 David Mendosa // Feb 7, 2015 at 3:59 am

Ditto to your new comment, Siamak! You make all the right points. Thank you.

With metta,

• 96 John Hummel // Feb 7, 2015 at 10:11 pm

Can you tell me anything about gluco health ? I watched a presentation in answer to an Email. I ordered 4 bottles and they offered

• 97 David Mendosa // Feb 8, 2015 at 10:19 am

Dear John,

GlucoHealth has been around for a long time and is widely available. I have checked it out carefully. It probably won’t hurt you anywhere except in your wallet, but it is just a collection of supplements that you could buy for less separately. But the real issue in my mind is precisely that it IS supplements. Please read my articles about supplements. Basically they are like the regular diabetes drugs most people with diabetes take except that the supplements have not been tested for their safety and efficacy and are not standardized.

• 98 Siamak // Feb 8, 2015 at 10:44 am

g’day john. I would be weary of no FDA filtered supplements. At best they work as placebos. Placebos do work sometimes, if you have dollars to burn marvelous. Eating a balanced meal is the best way to receive vitamins your body needs. I know of no short cuts!. Believe me I have tried. I hate being a diabetic. But it appears my darling dad (may he RIP) left me a genetic gift!. I can only manage it. Nothing magic about a diabetic diet. Balanced meal (including carbs) and no refined sugars and hollow calories. Yeah, boring life food and snack wise, but life with less complication. David has great articles on this site, I have learned alot since I followed David all those years ago and I am much better for the knowledge. If someone tells something that sounds too good to be true, it usually is, but research and then decide. By the numbers.

• 99 Siamak // Feb 8, 2015 at 10:49 am

Dear David.
    What are your thoughts on Milk ?! there is alot of calories and sugar in Milk, even the low fat variety. In fact the low fat variety has more sugar. I am thinking I may be developing lactose intolerance, but not 100% sure until I consult my physician. I guess I don’t really need Milk, and liking it is irrelevant, but hey I cannot just drop everything ?! can I ?. *sigh*.
    Any thoughts ?

Thanks

• 100 David Mendosa // Feb 8, 2015 at 10:49 am

Dear Siamak,

Thank you so much for your wise comment. I agree with it all, even where you write that the best diet includes carbs. Certainly, but of course it is the carbs that raise our blood sugar. So we have to limit them to the best carbs on a very low-carb diet.

With metta,

• 101 Siamak // Feb 8, 2015 at 10:55 am

I am sorry for the doble entry and question on the wrong forum. Will not happen again. Mea Culpa

• 102 David Mendosa // Feb 8, 2015 at 10:57 am

Dear Siamak,

I share your concern about milk and drink it very, very seldom. I don’t even use tea that requires milk. I grew up drinking a lot of milk and loved it. But it has far too many carbs for me. Dairy is a wonderful source of protein and I eat a lot of yogurt (only Straus brand whole-milk organic Greek yogurt, that has far fewer carbs in actuality than the Nutrition Facts label says, as I have written many times) and hard cheese, like cave-aged Gruyere, that has no carbs.

With metta,

• 103 Jacque // Feb 11, 2015 at 8:57 am

Have you heard anything about the IGF factor, stimulating it to help lower blood sugars?

• 104 David Mendosa // Feb 11, 2015 at 9:03 am

Dear Jacque,

There was a flurry of news about it in about 7 or 8 years ago and I mentioned it in a few of my articles then. But surprisingly little news since then as far as I know.

• 105 bumadene sclvedge // Feb 11, 2015 at 2:55 pm

I am taking 2000 mgs. of metformin daily. I take 1000 in the morning before breakfast and 1000mgs. at supper. my fasting glucose in the morning is any where from 135 to 160 what would any of you do with the over the ccounter supplements?

• 106 Werner // Feb 17, 2015 at 9:08 pm

For your information:
    The link in the article at the top of this page leading to “List of Firms Receiving Warning Letters for Marketing Unproven Dietary Supplements for Diabetes with Illegal Drug Claims” does not work – probably outdated.

You talk about scams promoting products/supplements to control diabetes. I have found a number apparent scam sites promoting diabetic “cure” books (rather than actual products). Is anyone (any government agency) looking at those? (I followed your link to the Kevin Trudeau wiki entry – great reading!)

• 107 Debby Clements // Mar 8, 2015 at 11:58 am

Hello. I have not been diagnosed with Diabetes yet. May 2014 tests from yearly phsycial – A1C= 5.9. triglycerdies-350. insulin count =38. I am 62 year old female. 5’0”. Normal to low blood pressure 120/80- 116/76. Normal weight was 110-115, but now weigh 185. Had hysterectomy 1991. Started putting on a little weight – about 2-5 pounds a year. Got to 130 pounds in 2003 -decided I needed to lose weight, started dieting, no cokes or diet drinks since, but did start using mostly sugar free things. I drink a lot of water with lemon and tea, too. Try to not eat things with high fructose corn syrup. But, with all the “sugar free” and “diet” things I was eating ( coffee creamer, flavored water, yogurt, splenda in coffee and tea, diet breakfast bars, diet this, diet that…etc…) – I think Splenda has done me in! Now I weigh 185 !! I diet with friends and we eat about the same, exercise together… they lose 30-50 pounds. I lose MAYBE 10 lbs, then gain it back plus some each time. I do exercise ( walking and pool aerobics). I use a CPAP machine, but am still tired all of the time. I used to do stationary bike class twice a week, but with weight gain, knees and back hurt too much now to do that.
    Last May, I started vitamin D- 4000IU a day and Coconut Oil capsules (4000mg a day ) and I use coconut oil spread now instead of margarine ( on steamed vegs and occasional weekend toast ). No canned veg anymore, only fresh or frozen. use a salt substitute, but don’t use much salt. 6 months later was retested. A1C 5.8, Triglycerides – 280. Insulin-34. So, numbers looking better, but still no weight loss!!! Went to endocrinologist last Nov and he put me on thyroid meds, even though Thyroid looked ok – it’s on the low side of normal , and put me on 1000 Metformin ( 500 morning and night) although he says I am not diabetic, but says z it might help my insulin count. Metformin upsets my stomach, but I still take it. Am going to be retested in May, but no weight loss since I started the meds at Thanksgiving last year.
    I’ve tried every diet and diet pill out there, – even hypnosis, including -eating nutri-system food for 3 months. I lost a total of 4 pounds. Also tried HCG shots for 2 months with 1000 calorie a day diet) and did lose 15 pounds, but put it back on immed after I stopped the shots. I feel I eat pretty well and I do exercise by walking 2 – 3 miles, 3-4 times a week. I also park at back of parking lot, so ¼ mile in and out of work and I use the stairs. I’ve had low blood sugar since my teens – eating a donut or piece of chocolate cake in my early twenties would make me pass out, but blood sugar has risen over last 15 years to around 75-80. I think that whatever I eat, good or bad, creates such a huge insulin release in my body and my body doesn’t use the insulin correctly, so it turns to fat – so doesn’t matter what I eat. Most of my fat is around my stomach, but I have gained all over – arms, neck, face, legs. Totally frustrated and fed up Daughter getting married next March and I HAVE to lose we weight. I am now considering lap bad surgery. Can you help me? Do you take patients? Thanks, Debby.

• 108 David Mendosa // Mar 8, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Dear Debby,

What makes you think that Splenda doesn’t help you? Anyway, have you tried stevia. It’s my sweetener of choice.

When you say that you have tried all the diets, I wonder if you have serious gone very low-carb. I mean fewer than 50 grams of carbohydrate per day. It is by far the best way to manage your blood sugar and your weight both.

But sorry, I don’t take patients!

• 109 John Quigley // Mar 10, 2015 at 7:46 am

Dear Debby,
    I was diagnosed 10 years ago with type 2. I have had to fight weight for many years, also tried all sorts of diets, none worked. I now have found that I am gluten intolerant, so have not eaten wheat for over a year. Lost 30 pounds, bake my own bread and am very careful about gluten. I have used splenda, and found that it was better than the stuff I used to take (saccharin). I now use stevia, it is a natural sweetner and seems to work better for me. Have managed to keep my weight down, also so feel better than I have in quite a while. One of the pieces of advice I got when I was diagnosed was to not go to the artificial stuff like margarine. The natural is much better. I too use frozen and fresh vegetables. Also look for grass fed meats they are leaner.
    Don’t know if this will be helpful for you but I know what it is like to fight weight, I am now 70 years old and have fought my weight for 35 years at least.

• 110 Leena // Mar 12, 2015 at 5:53 am

• 111 gordon // Mar 12, 2015 at 8:18 am

Glucose Essentials by Dr. Whitaker says that if U are on Insulin U should consult with your doctor. I talk with my doctor and they have no info on this product. They want U to use their products. I would like to know if the people who made comments are people on Insulin without consulting their doctor or on pills??? by taking this pill may have a secondary opinion or draw back.

• 112 David Mendosa // Mar 12, 2015 at 8:20 am

Dear Leena,

Thanks for the link. But sadly the FDA hasn’t done anything like that recently. Did you see that what they posted was dated 2013?

• 113 David Mendosa // Mar 12, 2015 at 8:25 am

Dear Gordon,

Nothing in those pills except for herbs and other supplements, none of which have been shown to help.

• 114 Anne DiDente // Mar 15, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Dear Sir, I have a question? My son who is over 50, was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 12 years ago. He goes to the doctor every three months. for his diabetes. Just recently he went to an endocrinologist who told my son his pancreas were not putting out any insulin and he would be treating him like a type 1. I know that he was on Metformin and some Insulin. I don’t know much more details because my son does not want to talk about it. I don’t understand how you can go to the doctor every three months and supposedly be treated for something and suddenly go into something else. I would like to help him but from what I have seen and heard there is not much out there except confusing and conflicting information.

• 115 David Mendosa // Mar 15, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Dear Anne,

I understand your concern and worry about your son. But what happened to him can actually happen to anyone. In fact, exactly the same thing happened to a good friend of mine who is himself an endocrinologist. He got type 2 diabetes and then a few years later he got type 1 diabetes. This can happen because these two main types of diabetes have separate causes. Type 2 can be cause my many things, not just being overweight and not exercising enough, although these things have a lot to do with many people getting type 2 (as I am sure that they did with me, before I got the encouragement to change my life). Type 1 diabetes is probably caused by a virus infection. Anyway, it is not at all the doctor’s fault that your son got type 1 diabetes and certainly not your son’s fault either. These things do happen, sadly.

• 116 Dale // Mar 15, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Dear Gordon,

Have you heard about “Skinny Fiber” supplement being promoted by Courtney Luper on Facebook for losing weight. It seems to have glucose in it. Would you think it is a good product for diabetic type 2 people as a weight loss product? Thanks in advance.

• 117 Rose // Mar 15, 2015 at 10:20 pm

David, have you any thoughts about the People’s Chemist and the product Cinnergy? I have been diagnosed with diabetes, controlling it with diet, exercise. My last A1C ws 6.4. At times my blood sugar still runs quite high after meals.

• 118 David Mendosa // Mar 16, 2015 at 9:30 am

Dear Rose,

I have looked into Cinnergy. It is another of literally thousands of supplement combinations that people are trying to sell to us. In this case it has cinnamon bark and milk thistle. Neither of these ingredients have ever been shown to do anything to help us manage our blood sugar. Cinnamon did seem years ago to help, and in fact I myself then wrote several articles in support of it, but later studies have debunked it. Besides, that was for cinnamon, not cinnamon bark. Anyway, all supplements are actually drugs in disguise. They are simply drugs that have never been properly tested for whether they work and if they are safe. And they are drugs that are unstandardized. Controlling your blood sugar with diet and exercise as you (and I) are doing is much the better way. Keep it up, and the first step is for us to use our diet to manage our weight so that it is down into the LOW NORMAL level of BMI. We can do it much more easily on a very low-carb diet. Your A1C level must really come down below 6.0 and a level below about 5.5 would be even better. You can do it by further limiting the carbohydrates in your diet, particularly at breakfast. If you cut way back on grains and potatoes and sugars, I know that you can do it.

• 119 Ergo // Mar 16, 2015 at 9:45 am

Hi! As you advocate, I am controlling my type 2 with exercise (not so much) and diet, limiting my intake of carbs. I was diagnosed in December with A1C of 11.7 and will be taking my next A1C test soon.

Two questions, if I may:-

1 What do you think of a low fat diet as advocated by Dr Michael Greger? It seems to make sense to reduce fat intake if the problem is that the Pancreas is covered in fat which is not letting the insulin out?

• 120 Ergo // Mar 16, 2015 at 9:49 am

2 As I am following a low carb diet (as advocated by Dr Bernstein, you and others), I look for low sugar values in all foods e.g. my breakfast cereal (shredded wheat) has a very low sugar content. But, I note that its carb value is fairly high. is that wrong? Does the body turn those carbs into sugar as well? If so, why is it not listed as sugar? and how much car/ sugar is one able to have in a meal?

Many thanks

• 121 David Mendosa // Mar 16, 2015 at 9:52 am

Dear Ergo,

I completely disagree with a low-fat diet for anyone who has diabetes because it is a disease where we cannot metabolize carbohydrates like other people can. That means that the carbohydrates we eat will raise our blood sugar level since the sugar in our blood cannot get into the cells of our body well enough (this is what insulin resistance is). When we strictly limit the amount of carbs we eat, we can control our blood sugar. What does this have to do with fat? Simply because we have to get energy from the foods we eat, and we get this energy only from carbs or fats (protein is useful otherwise but not for immediate energy). So a low-carb diet means a high-fat diet.

• 122 David Mendosa // Mar 16, 2015 at 9:58 am

Dear Ergo,

Good questions. The carb value is shredded wheat is actually quite high. It is from starch, not sugar. But our bodies turn starch directly into sugar.

Dr. Bernstein recommends — and I agree and follow his guidelines — no more than 6 grams of carbs for breakfast and no more than 12 grams each for lunch and dinner. I don’t know what brand of shredded wheat you eat, but two Post shredded wheats have 36 grams of carbs. That huge amount will drive the blood sugar level of anyone with diabetes sky high.

• 123 Ergo // Mar 16, 2015 at 10:06 am

thanks.

My specialist said the same as you, which is why I am sticking with a low carb diet.

But, does it not make sense to reduce the fat surrounding the pancreas? I believe that some type 2 diabetics will have quite high insulin levels in their blood as the body tries to break down the blood sugars. In my case, I think the insulin levels are fairly low, because I am told that there is fat surrounding my Pancreas which is not letting the insulin out. It seems sensible to reduce that fat so the insulin can be released and get to work. It looks like there are different meanings to “insulin resistance”, with some people it means they produce sufficient (and possibly lots of) insulin and their problem is that the insulin is not effective, and with others (like me) they do not produce enough insulin because the Pancreas is covered in fat. Does that make sense?

Thanks

• 124 David Mendosa // Mar 16, 2015 at 10:10 am

Dear Ergo,

Actually, the fat we eat has little if any effect on the fat in our bodies. When you get down to a low normal weight level (as measured by the BMI) and follow a very low-carb diet the fat will go away.

• 125 Ergo // Mar 16, 2015 at 10:14 am

David

Thank you for your reply to my question re Shredded Wheat. I think the type I eat is higher than 36 grams, especially when you add the semi skimmed milk. I will check later.

6 grams for breakfast is really low!

The thing I find most helpful in dealing with diabetes is exercise. I really feel the benefits of a moderate fast walk of 45 minutes or so.

My aim now is to increase the exercise and try and reduce (1) portion size of food and (2) reduce carbs even more (probably at about 50 grams per meal now).

Thanks for your help.

Regards

• 126 David Mendosa // Mar 16, 2015 at 10:31 am

Dear Ergo,

You are welcomed. I agree with your goals completely!

• 127 David Mendosa // Mar 16, 2015 at 10:36 am

Dear Gordon,

Please don’t waste your money! Some fiber may well make you feel fuller and can help a bit to lose weight. But why spend a lot of money on a combination of glucomannan fiber with a lot of other stuff that has never been tested to work for weight loss? Glucomannan can make you feel somewhat fuller; I have tried it myself with very limited success. But the one proven way to lose weight is a very low-carb diet.

• 128 Debbuliy Clements // Mar 16, 2015 at 11:54 am

David – yes, I have tried low carb diets – several times. Did Atkins for 6 months. I kept myself to 20 carbs for 4 weeks, then 30-40 carbs a day for 6 months. Basically lived on boiled and deviled eggs, baked chicken, steak, fish, salad with balsamic dressing and green beans. No bread, potatoes, rice, cereal, etc. Lost total of 6 pounds. My two friends who did the same as me lost over 30-40 pounds. And, I exercised during that- including two spin cycle classes a week. Then did the South Beach diet the next year. Basically maintained my weight – didn’t gain, didn’t lose. But, was consuming many sugar free – zero carb items and using Splenda during that time. Splenda in my coffee and hot tea. I used Splenda from 2002-2010, then changed to Stevia in 2010. I was mainly using the liquid Stevia and also the flavored Stevia for water. Have now tried to not use much of any sugar free sweeteners – am only putting real lemons in my water. I feel that Splenda and Stevia are not working for me, because when I changed over too all sugar free items, I gained weight – 50 pounds. Walking 12 miles a week, going to Zumba and spin cycle classes and doing water aerobics. I am not a couch potato. I got to the point that I would not buy an item unless it was sugar free. Drank Fruit 2-0 instead of cokes. Not diet coke. Sugar free coffee creamer, sugar free yogurt, etc. If I drink a 12 oz flavored water with Sucralose, my insulin count goes up, even though my blood sugar does not rise. Body doesn’t need the insulin, so it is stored for fat. That is what 2 endocrinologists have told me. And we ran a glucose tolerance test using Fruit 2-0 as my drink for 6 hours – my insulin count went through the roof. Pretty much proved what they were saying. I think artificial sweeteners are good for type 1 diabetics who do not produce insulin, but are NOT good for type 2 diabetes – if you are like me and high a very high insulin count. If I eat something sweet tasting, something in my brain signals to release insulin. Do some research – go to google and search for Splenda weight gain – you get over 200,000 hits. Read a few. You may be sabotaging your type 2 diabetes with Splenda and artificial sweeteners. I think I am on the right track using the coconut oil. My numbers came way down, both insulin and triglycerides. I get retested in May – so we will see.

• 129 David Mendosa // Mar 16, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Dear Debbuliy,

Thanks for your detailed message. Dr. Eades has also found that not everyone on a very low-carb diet (50 grams of carbs per day or less) loses weight. Those who eat cheese and nuts seem to be the ones who don’t lose weight.

You may be right about artificial sweeteners, and I do not use them (I have type 2 diabetes). I use a little stevia, but that’s all. I have no idea how much insulin my body releases, but I do know that my A1C level is 5.4, my BMI level is 19.5, and my lipid levels are all within range. I don’t take any medicines or supplements for diabetes or for cholesterol.

• 130 Dr. Dean Whitener // Mar 17, 2015 at 10:56 am

I just watched the extremely long and boring infomercial add for Dr. Pearson’s diabetes cure. First of all he lied and said the presentation would last only 6 minutes–I finally turned it off after 25 minutes because I was on the verge of pulling my hair out and/or checking myself into a psych ward to reverse the cognitive damage (it was still going on). There is simply no cocktail of any type, to cure diabetes. However, there is very promising research to indicate stem cell replacement of beta cells, or turning gut cells into beta cells. These programs and promises are simply awful with one purpose in mind–TO SEPARATE YOU FROM YOUR MONEY! Stay away from the outrageous claims, take a brisk daily walk because exercising muscle mops-up and utilizes glucose directly from the bloodstream with little to no assistance from insulin.

Dr. Dean Whitener

• 131 David Mendosa // Mar 17, 2015 at 11:07 am

Dear Dr. Whitener,

Well said!

• 132 Rose // Mar 17, 2015 at 1:45 pm

David, thank you so much for your response and encouragement. I will continue to read and learn from your website.

• 133 Ronn Parsley // Mar 19, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Dr. Whitener or David,

Where can I go to learn more about the relationship between strenuous exercise and how our cells use glucose more effectively. I farm for a living (small scale, sustainable, organic vegetable and livestock farming outside Pullman, WA). During the busy time of the year, we work 6 and sometimes 7 days a week. On harvest days before a Farmers’ Market, we will start a 6 am and work hard until 10 pm. But on other days of the week, we may only put in a few hours — enough to water and feed the animals and collect eggs.

I get plenty of exercise. That’s not a problem! But the widely varying exertion levels and durations from day to day ( even hour to hour) havoc with my blood sugar level. I often find myself having to make an educated guess at the correct insulin dosing and carb intake amount at breakfast or lunch, then adjusting with granola bars as needed.

Is there any way to be more scientific about this?

Thanks, Ronn

• 134 Ronn Parsley // Mar 19, 2015 at 8:43 pm

I forgot to say: Strenous farm wrk can be like being on an elliptical machine at the club on a low to moderate setting. With occaisional rest, water, and meal breaks, this can go on all day!

Btw. I meant to say play havoc.

Thanks again, Ronn

• 135 David Mendosa // Mar 20, 2015 at 10:52 am

Dear Ronn,

Yes, this can be more scientific. Perhaps the best way would be to use a continuous glucose monitor with an insulin pump. That would be almost automatic. Your endocrinologist can prescribe that for you.

• 136 Ronn Parsley // Mar 20, 2015 at 7:09 pm

Thank you, David. I will look into that. R

• 137 Myra // Mar 30, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Dear David,
    The cost of insulin (Lantus 60IU/day) is going to bankrupt me. I’m on Medicare and already falling into the GAP. I have been angry about the cost of insulin pens since I went on it. After they took Avandia off the market, I ran out of options, except for insulin. Metformin is cheap but I can’t tolerate it. Do other people feel victimized by Insulin companies like Sanofi?
    I have written to them, called them, and made them aware that $400/box is JUST TOO HIGH. How can people afford it? I just don’t understand how such a RICH country like this one can let sick people be extorted like this. The definition of Extortion is : Your Money or Your Life. That is what Insulin producers like Sanofi are doing. So is it surprising people seek out quackery? They used to go from town to town selling their Snake Oil, now we have the Internet. The Internet is Even More confusing!
    Best Regards, Myra

• 138 David Mendosa // Mar 30, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Dear Myra,

You and I are hardly the only people who care about the cost of insulin. In fact, a few days ago someone wrote me about the sky-high cost of insulin, albeit a different brand. I referred her to my friend and associate, Dr. Bill Quick. He wrote a post about it that anyone who takes insulin would do well to read. It is at:

With metta,

• 139 Siamak // Mar 31, 2015 at 12:16 am

Medicine in general is expensive.
    This is capitalism gone wild. When my dad was on pills for lung cancer, his pills were $300 a pop!. By and large big pharma do a good job but to believe for one moment that they care or even work towards a cure would be naive, all one has to remember is ulcer medication! . Truth be told, they care more about shareholder value than patients. And when there is no collective bargaining, then you and I do or die. The Affordable Care Act was a crippled to start with. If GOP gets in, it could get worse. Writing to Sanofi or Eli will not help. You don’t have to tell them it is expenive, they know! and their long and short answer is tough sh*% !.

regretbly yours, *sigh*

Siamak

• 140 David Mendosa // Mar 31, 2015 at 9:20 am

Dear Myra,

I forgot earlier to comment on your mention of metformin. Many people can’t tolerate it — but only because their doctors tell them to start with too high a dosage and then to increase it too fast. Please read: http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=1261

• 141 David Mendosa // Mar 31, 2015 at 10:17 am

Dear Siamak,

I don’t know how anyone could make a good argument against what you write! I certainly agree.

• 142 Dan Karkoulas // Mar 31, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Remember you can control how much Insulin you take and how long that box of insulin will last by not eating many carbs. Dr. Bernstein’s books will keep you healthier at lower drug cost. That’s how to keep your money for healthy food. Between what you save on junk food and extra insulin to “cover” it you’ll be far ahead…..Dan

• 143 Ergo // Apr 17, 2015 at 4:57 am

Hi! I am fairly new to this diabetes condition (diagnosed type 2 in December 2014 with A1c of 11.7). I have been off carbs since December and my numbers are better. Yesterday, I was at a nice restaurant for lunch so relaxed my usual strict rules and had ice cream and cake for dessert. 3 hours later at home my bg was 5.3, which is lower than when I have a regular salad etc at the office on a regular day. The reason, for the lower bg, I expect, is that i had a glass of dry white wine with the meal. So, last night when I went out for a meal (twice in one day!), I ate a regular meal, including 5/6 small potatoes and had ice cream and other sweets for dessert. This time I had a glass of dry white and dry red. This morning my bg was …..5.5!

Is there any reason not to have a glass of wine with every meal from now on? Have I stumbled on a remedy for diabetes! Or, is it better to drink wine to lower bg only occasionally? Famously, the French drink a glass of wine with each meal. Maybe they have got it right.

• 144 David Mendosa // Apr 17, 2015 at 10:20 am

This is an important question that I have been meaning to write about for some time. The effect of alcohol depends of many things, but one that is often overlooked is the different effect when drinking on an empty stomach or on the other hand with or after a meal. The real problem with alcohol that is often missed is that it is our liver that metabolizes it (our stomach metabolizes food, except fructose). We already put far too much stress on our liver when we consume fructose. Your question deserves a whole article and I will write it soon. Meanwhile, Amy Campbell’s article “Diabetes and Alcohol: Do the Two Mix?” is useful.

• 145 Gena M. Burns-Harrison // Apr 17, 2015 at 11:39 pm

I have a great deal to say about Metformin . . . for me, personally, none of it happens to be good.

It is 1:36AM where I live . . . so I won’t go into my odyssey at this hour, but I hope to return soon and tell my story.

I am very curious as to whether others have had some of the same complications that I have had with Metformin for the 10 years which I was taking it.

This site has been very informative. Thanks so much!

Gena M. Burns-Harrison

• 146 David Mendosa // Apr 18, 2015 at 8:52 am

Dear Gena,

Thank you for your message. I would like to hear your story in much greater detail, and I am sure than others would too.

But, of course, metformin is an approved medicine, not a scam. That also doesn’t mean that it is without problems. Some approved medicines, like Rezulin, killed many people with diabetes before the FDA acted to ban them. So what I am suggesting is that you post your comments on my article, “Metformin Forever.” While I prefer to manage my diabetes without any diabetes medications, I think that metformin is generally an effective one that is also probably the safest one and the least expensive one. But I really do what to hear your story…

• 147 Ergo // Apr 23, 2015 at 7:39 am

David

I would like to thank you for your help and advice.

In December I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, with an A1C of 11.7. I trawled the net for advice and settled on the low carb diet recommended by you and Dr Bernstein. I did lots of finger prick testing, as recommended, and settled on a routine for meals which I mostly follow.

On Tuesday I had my first follow up A1C and today I have been told that my A1C is……..5.7!

Clearly, I am delighted with the result and want to thank you for this blog and for all your help.

There is a lot more to read up on but I feel like I am now on the right path and in control.

Thanks

• 148 David Mendosa // Apr 23, 2015 at 9:58 am

That is truly an impressive improvement! You are obviously serious about regaining your health. Thanks for letting us know.

• 149 Richard Moore // Apr 27, 2015 at 3:41 pm

As a Type 1 diabetic who has used insulin injections for 57 years, I am baffled by the apparent horror that people seem to feel about using insulin. It is one crucial and beneficial tool in the kit for treating all types of diabetes, and used appropriately, can make a HUGE difference.

Life is full of little unpleasant things, but letting distaste or unpleasantness or even fear keep you from better health is an awful price to pay. I watched a friend die from complications of Type 2 diabetes, simply because he would not consider using insulin, and his lifestyle and existing condition required it for treatment, at least for a while. Sad, but common, I think. If recommended, work with your doctor on this, please.

• 150 David Mendosa // Apr 27, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Dear Dick,

I completely share your understanding of the crucial importance of insulin.

With metta,

• 151 Ergo // Apr 28, 2015 at 2:55 am

David

As per my comment above, I have done really well over the past 4 months on a low carb diet. I have lost weight and my Blood glucose is now within normal range.

Going forward, my concern is whether a low carb diet is suitable in the long term. Some articles on the net do not consider it a good idea. What do you think? And can you refer me to any articles on the subject?

Finally, how much carb (in grams) should someone like me (new diagnosed Type 2 with bg in normal range now) need for a long term diet?

As ever, many thanks

Ernest

• 152 David Mendosa // Apr 28, 2015 at 7:54 am

Dear Ernest,

Congratulations! Losing weight on a very low-carb diet is the surest way to get your diabetes under control. You can bring your A1C level down to normal, which everyone agrees is 6.0 or less.

You ask how many grams of carbs we need. The answer is clear that we don’t need any. There are no essential carbs (there are some essential fats and protein). A very low-carb diet, however, includes some carbs, and how many vary from doctor to doctor, generally from 50 to 100 per day.

The ADA and other parts of the medical establishment are coming around to accept that we can very successfully live our entire lives on a very low-carb diet. One book that I would suggest that you read is Dr. Jonny Bowden’s “Living Low Carb.” Personally I have followed a very low-carb diet since 2007 and have never been healthier.

• 153 Melinda Brenner // Apr 28, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Just got done reading about Dr Whitaker glucose essentials and researching that many people are questioning the toxic effects vanadyl sulfate has on the body. Most places i read only 1.8mg is safe level and Dr whitaker is putting over 100mg in his per day!!! He claims its safe of course but as i was finding in research all over the web its not or it really hasnt been tested enough!! I was gonna try until i read all of the side effects like digestive issues,green tongue and toxic concerns….no thanks!!!

• 154 Melinda Brenner // Apr 28, 2015 at 11:18 pm

Debby Clements try the insulin resistance diet By Cheryle R Hart….it explains about linking carbs and proteins to get insulin level. It works if you follow it…basically eating the way God probaly intended for us..you can find the book on ebay or amazon….good luck!!

• 155 Ergo // Apr 29, 2015 at 1:46 am

• 156 Diane // Apr 30, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Thank you, David, for being such an excellent source of information.

• 157 Siamak // May 10, 2015 at 5:54 pm

I know THIS page is the wrong place to post this. I have not roamed around the site to find the correct one, so mea culupa in advance.

I have conducted an experiment with food recently to see if it helps me.
    1. No more milk. I use non dairy creamers in my tea/coffee, hardly any sugar in it, whereby milk, believe it or not is chock full of sugar.
    result : The bloated feeling is almost gone. How real is it?. I truly do not know, the only way to know is restart consuming milk and see if it comes back.

2. Eat little. Since Friday, I have had only one meal a day, and small portion at that!. Blood sugar has been in good shape. I feel great. And actually not all that hungry. Low carb helps abate hunger, at least in my case. It will be hard at work though, with all the temptation of junk snacks freely available. I shall try to resist.

3. No more rice and pasta! well, a little bit once a quarter perhaps
    My BG stayed quite good (<=120) and a couple of time 100 or below. I have started suppllementing it with riding my bicycle to work a couple of times a week. Lets see if in a few months I can back off the medication somewhat.

• 158 David Mendosa // May 10, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Dear Siamak,

That’s better! One suggestion is to avoid that artificial stuff in the non-dairy creamer. Try real cream instead. No carbohydrates at all!

With metta,

• 159 John Quigley // May 10, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Dear Siamak,
    I have found that Almond Milk is a much better substitute, also instead of cutting out pasta, I use gluten free pasta. Since I have been living gluten free I have found less problems with gas and feeling bloated. Blood Glucose is around 100 everyday and I do eat light but make sure to eat a light breakfast, good solid lunch and then light supper. Only eat bread with breakfast (toast). It has worked well for me. Coffee black, with some truvia and Rooibos tea. It is naturally decaf, and better for you than even green tea although I do enjoy a cup of jasmine once in a while.

• 160 Siamak // May 10, 2015 at 10:44 pm

Thanks John, sound advice mate. I am not sure about Almond Milk. I can simply go without, but I like everything almond so I will try it for sure. I love Rooibos tea, I also love caffeine. I gave up sugar in tea and coffee years ago, no good reason other than my dorm mates used to nick my sugar, so it was easier to just give up the darn thing. :) . I like your eaying regimen. I think I will follow something similar here onwards. It will put a dent in one’s social life as it were, but so be it. My friends ought to understand.

Cheers

Siamak

• 161 Marcos Taquechel // May 20, 2015 at 10:29 am

Hi David, I’m starting to write an piece on scams, and I’ve been wanting to do that for a while. I just realize how much scam the diabetic community is victim of. Thanks for your post however a few of these links are dead (understandable since the post is almost 10 yo). I do think however that some good alternatives get mixed up with scams. I myself review medicinal plants and present all the scientific evidence and let people decide but I feel sometimes anything that steps outside the medical guidelines is suspicious; rightfully so at times. I feel like the pharmaceutical industry also joins in on the which hunt in order to protect their turf. In the end is the individual education and good judgement that will prevail. It’s kind of easy to tell when something is a scam, at least for me.